What can I do, who do I talk to? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

What can I do, who do I talk to?

ValParentChildwithCP Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2016 in Education
This discussion was created from comments split from: Ask an Educational Psychologist.


  • ValParentChildwithCP
    ValParentChildwithCP Member Posts: 3 Listener
    What can I do, who do I talk to? Under the new scheme introduced this year, which removed all course work that contributed to a final exam result. No consideration or adjustments’ has been for the 100’s of children with Cerebral Palsy, with cognitive impairment such as impaired memory putting them at a 100% disadvantage, condemning them to a future without academic qualification. Infact they increase the barriers to disabled people accessing education opportunities in schools and later on in colleges and universities. Condemning them to a life of low salary employment – IF ANY at the age of 16.
    I am seeking a just ‘adjustments’, be made to take into account this disability; for example;
    # Inclusion of course work into the final grade;
    # an open book example; and so on
    Extra time in an exam for an individual, who has difficulties with memory and processing information, is of little use and in no way addresses the imbalance and the discriminatory nature of these exams.
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Member Posts: 119 Courageous
    Hello Val
    I can understand your frustration and upset. In terms of who to talk to, this is a political issue so I would suggest your MP in the first instance. You could also write to the Join Council for Qualifications (JCQ), though they usually do not correspond with parents. Have you considered an online petition? After a certain number of signatures, petitions have to be discussed in Parliament. You could request an assessment by an educational psychologist for the purpose of making recommendations for exam access arrangements. For memory issues, the most likely adjustment would be extra time, though there is no harm in the school making a request for e.g. open book if evidence suggests it would enable her to more effectively demonstrate her knowledge and skills. The JCQ will consider any application, though an EP assessment cannot guarantee anything.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.