I'd like to know the rules, requirements, good practice for disability access into a property? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I'd like to know the rules, requirements, good practice for disability access into a property?


  • 7Elen
    7Elen Member Posts: 6 Listener
    edited November 2015
    Hello Debbie
    I am hoping you can point me in the right direction for DFG. I would like to know the rules and requirements, guidance and good practice for disability access into a property, around the property, access to bedroom and down stairs shower room. What if what is needed is over the money the council has, what can be done to solve the issues. Is there anyone who can help navigate this.
    kind regards
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hi Elen7,

    Mandatory DFGs can be awarded for the following works:
    1. Facilitating a disabled person’s access to:
    a. The dwelling;
    b. A room usable as the principal family room, or for sleeping in;
    c. A WC, bath, shower, etc (or the provision of a room for these
    2. Facilitating the preparation of food by the disabled person;
    3. Improving/providing a heating system to meet the disabled person’s
    4. Facilitating the disabled person’s use of a source of power;
    5. Facilitating access and movement around the home to enable the
    disabled person to care for someone dependent upon him or her;
    6. Making the dwelling safe for the disabled person and others residing
    with him or her;
    7. Facilitating access to and from a garden, or making a garden safe.

    If the cost of the works is more than the maximum grant you could ask for a 'discretionary top up grant' from the local authority. However this is discretionary and they are hard to come by particularly when council budgets have been cut considerably. Do you own the property or do you rent it from the council or a housing association? If you're renting from the council they may consider that a move to a more suitable property would be best for you.

    There is a helpful DFG Good Practice Guide which you can find in the following link. I hope that you find this useful.

    It does sound as though you need some support with this. Are you aware of Disability First in Blackpool? http://www.disabilityfirst.org/advice-information/ I think it would be worth getting in touch with them to see if they can support you with this and any other problems you might be experiencing.

    There is also Blackpool Costal Housing Care and Repair who can give advice about adaptations. http://www.bch.co.uk/Customers/Care-and-Repair/Care-and-Repair.aspx

    I hope this helps. If there's anything else you need, do let me know.

    Kind regards


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.