Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

I look after a 44yr old lady with profound leaning disability.


  • shazza2shazza2 Member Posts: 2
    hi arlene.need alittle help.im a support worker.i look after a 44yr old lady with profound leaning dissability.3 yrs ago she moved in to a supported living.she has always beenable to walk with rolater but is hoisted into chair or bed.county council now want her to move .they are saying she cannot use her rolater anymore or sit on toilet.they have even got o.t to say this what can i do to convince that this lady can do this.ive worked with this lady 8yrs and know her far better than anyone else.we have never had prob with her walking with rolater or using toilet.am.can she use another o.t and can i get advice from doctor.i feel they are just trying to get her out of flat.shazza
  • BusyOTBusyOT Member Posts: 77
    Hi Shazza, this is a really tricky one and without knowing all the details it's difficult to advise. . Does the lady have an advocate? If not, you might be able to refer her to a local organisation and the advocate will then be able to attend the meetings in which decisions are being made about her future.
    Have you seen the report from the OT? It may be that her strength is deteriorating and the OT believes that the risk is increasing. However if she currently uses a hoist and rollator in her home then I assume her current residence should still be fully accessible to her changing needs. Depending on her tenancy agreement - she will have rights as a tenant and therefore it is a different level of support that she requires rather than a new home. You should be able to check this out on the Internet - tenancy rights are the same for everyone.
    Can you refer to physio? They may have a different view than OT?
    If the ladies family can give you consent then you could use photographic / video evidence of her transfer skills to back up your case.
    Good luck and do let us know how you get on. Arlene
Sign in or join us to comment.