My niece has a 9-year-old child who has been put back into reception — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My niece has a 9-year-old child who has been put back into reception

sufo
sufo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hello my name is Hannah and I'm an educational psychologist.

Comments

• sufo
    sufo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    My niece has a 9-year-old child who has been put back into reception, my niece having been told that her child is in the lowest 5% in the country for her literacy. My brother has got involved and attended a meeting asking what had been done about this in the past and what has been done to assess his grandchild and intervene before now. He was told that they hadn't wanted to assess as this would label the child. My niece, the child's mother is dyslexic and has poor literacy skills has now asked why nothing has been done and for help and answers as she does not believe this is right. An appointment has been made for them to meet the educational psychologist but only at 9 in the morning when they are aware that my brother has ME and will have such difficulty being there. The school says all educational psychologist appointments have to be at that time and cannot make alternative arrangements for the appointment to be in the afternoon. Sorry, more that one question to answer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Community member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Hello Sufo,
    Has the child been placed in Reception full time of just for a few visits? It sounds very unusual and I would be concerned and asking whether it is appropriate inclusive practice. I also suggest reading the school SEN policy and perhaps contacting the school governors to express your concerns. Re time of meeting... I would contact the EP team directly to explain there is a disability in the family and request an alternative meeting time to accommodate this. You may find the Facebook group 'It's not just you' very helpful.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.