My son is struggling to settle down, complaining about fellow pupils and not interested in school. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son is struggling to settle down, complaining about fellow pupils and not interested in school.

rajeshpss
rajeshpss Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2016 in Education
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hello my name is Hannah and I'm an educational psychologist.

Comments

• rajeshpss
    rajeshpss Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Hannah,
    Iam contacting behalf of my son- Tanay aged 9 years. At present he is studying in Year-4 at Norbury School. Basically my son do not have any medical background from the birth and only new to this country. Prior to Norbury school he was studying at Roxcth Primary School. He has very good communication and adjusted to the school conditions and received Good Adjuster Award. The Roxcth School is far from our home and we decided to move him to the nearby home. After joining in the Norbury School he is struggling to settle down and also complaining about fellow pupils and also not interested to go for school. After returning to home from school in the evening he is dissatisfied form the things happened at school and he want to stay back at home as he will be very happy at home than going to school. The current situation has been discussed with school teacher but we got response like the kids will be like this only at this age. We regrettably commented the behaviour has been changed after joining this school. Recently we received a letter on 22-March-2016 saying that your child can be referred to EP. However as being a parent, my son is fine with regards to his behaviour which is contrary to the letter shared by school.
    Will you please suggest how can we groom my child for his better future 
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Community member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Hello Rajeshpss,
    As your son's difficulties are at school not home, an EP can help by identifying what's causing him to be unsettled at school. This might be a specific difficulty he has or it might be things other children/staff are doing/not doing. Perhaps you can ask your so to draw two pictures... One of what it was like for him at his first school and one for what it is like for him at his new school. Then ask him to talk about what is different and the same between the schools. This might help you to understand what experiences are causing him to feel unsettled. You could also ask the school to put a plan in place to help him feel settled at school, build friendships and experience success as a learner.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.