Help in need of PIP advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help in need of PIP advice

sallyanna169
sallyanna169 Community member Posts: 5 Courageous
Can someone pls advise me i was awarded pip standard rate for care and mobility for which i was grateful but as iv suffered chronic back pain and my back locks up just sitting down or bending over i struggle to get around my house most days i did ask for a mandatory reconsideration which was rejected i wanted to take it to a tribunal but as the rheumatologist had written to me stating that he couldn't find anything wrong with my mri scans i didn't have any medical back up just a month after my pip rejection letter i went to see a physiotherapist who told me i was suffering with fybromyalgia and on looking at my mri scans she told me i had three worn disks and two disks popping out its taken two yrs to find that out and i have deteriorated over time. iv recently over the last couple of months iv been experiencing daily leg cramps in my calfs which are now subsiding and now have swollen feet and lower legs which is so painful to walk. I'm also a single parent of a three yr old so every days a challendge can anyone offer me advice please 

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hello sallyanna169,

When you were awarded PIP were you given a fixed term award and if so, how long was the award for and do you know when you are due for a review?
    Regardless of the length of the award you must continue to satisfy all the qualifying rules throughout the award.

As your condition has deteriorated you should either ring the PIP helpline or write to the address at the top of your award letter. Writing will probably be better and you can include all the new evidence to support the deterioration in your condition. This is likely to trigger a re-assessment which will be similar to the assessment for new claims. Provide as much detail as you can and send all of the evidence you have to support it. I can't promise you won't be called for a face to face assessment, but if the decision maker has enough information from you to make a decision based on the paperwork alone this could mean that a repeat face to face assessment isn't required. As it has been more than 2 years since you were awarded PIP, it's probably advisable to be prepared for a face to face assessment.

It's quite clear that there has been a deterioration in your condition since the initial claim and you now have evidence to prove the deterioration which is really helpful and could help you to gain a higher level of award to meet your current needs. You shouldn't fear reporting a change in circumstances but I do know that it can be worrying for people and can cause some anxiety.

I hope all goes well and if you need any further advice, do let me know.

Best wishes
    Debbie

• sallyanna169
    sallyanna169 Community member Posts: 5 Courageous
    Good morning Debbie 

thank you so much for your time and encouraging  advice, i was awarded pip from November 2015 to September 2018.  i  will call the physiotherapy and request a report today. 

Thank you again and I'm sure il be back intouch 
                                             best wishes to you too  Sallyanne 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.