Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Advice Please on Growing Older With CP
Hi I am an active 49 year old with CP Dipledgia which affects both my legs. I have never used a wheelchair and only started to use a walking stick in 1986 when I left home. I now use two walking sticks to get around as the muscles in my legs are very tight and I need more support to walk. Since 2012 I have been using Orthotics in my shoes which have helped to reduce the pain in my knees. Last year I also started getting pain in the top of my leg when I sit for long periods of time so now I find it difficult to sit comfortably and when I get up to move I am so stiff I can't move. I have been seeing a brilliant physio on the NHS but can only get 6 weeks treatment at a time which we spread over a period of months. I find these sessions really useful but wish I could go every week. I cycle my tricycle to work every day and use it at weekends and I swim once or twice a week too so I keep active. I already take Baclofen only 10mg x3 a day as it makes me sleepy and as I have a full time job I need to be awake! Would it be worth trying some splints maybe at night to give my hamstrings a stretch while i'm a sleep? If there is anyone out there of a similar age to me with any tips on how to deal with CP and getting older then I would love to hear from you.
- 52.9K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 148 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 756 Work and employment
- 574 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 276 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 263 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 673 Chronic pain and pain management
- 699 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 926 Mental health and wellbeing
- 297 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.