Any help to do the EHC application? And a support group for someone who feels as useless as I do? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any help to do the EHC application? And a support group for someone who feels as useless as I do?

Options
Gabrielle
Gabrielle Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2016 in Education
This discussion was created from comments split from: Fighting your LA for your child's rights.

Comments

• Gabrielle
    Gabrielle Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I want to get an EHC plan in place for my daughter who has ASS and SLD underlying depression, aspects of dyslexia and dyspraxia poor short term memory and altered cognitive thinking skills, she is extremely clever and articulate, but socially very inept both with others and family members, she has made friends but none ever bother with her, our home has become a house with 4 sad people sharing it, lately she has been distraught over the break up with her boyfriend after 8 months.

I sought help from social services previously but they didn't believe her aggression was as bad or as physical as it was and blamed me saying u was putting my mental health problems on her, they slated me and put her on the at risk register , only for a brief time. She was only fully diagnosed st 15 having seen 3 paediatricians 5 lots of CAMHS, speech and language etc,,, nothing,,, finally I managed to get her seen at Manchester by professor green.

She is going to college next year and I would like some extra support for her and us to see her through this and hopefully beyond. I have depression, anxiety, OCD paranoia, fibromyalgia, CFS, and I'm so so tired of fighting for anything I get for her and then fighting with her. I'm a single mum. Aged 53 do you think there is 1 any help available to do the EHC application. 2 a support group for someone who feels as useless as I do and 3 groups for high functioning ASD / Aspergers ? Thanks, hope this isn't too much , I'm at my wits end x
  • unluckyglo
    unluckyglo Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Maybe contact your local C.A.B they should have someone to help with the forms. Plus like library a list of groups in your area. Sorry not very helpful 
  • Geo08
    Geo08 Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @Gabrielle,

First of comes a bit of a disclaimer, its not something I have been involved with (it was Statements of Special Education Needs when I was still at collage a couple of years ago) but I decided to do a little bit of research and thought it might be worth getting in touch with Independent Parental Special Education Advice (IPSEA) to see if they can help. They seem to have lots of information about EHCs:

https://www.ipsea.org.uk/what-you-need-to-know/ehc-plans

It appears they also have an advice line which might be able to offer more 'legal' insight:

https://www.ipsea.org.uk/contact/advice-and-support/advice-line

Unfortunately, it appears their line is closed for a two week holiday starting this Monday. If you need more urgent help it might be worth following the advice of @unluckyglo and asking your local CAB

Hope this helps, if you need anyone to listen or to rant to I'm always about,

Thanks,
    George
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Gabrielle,

There will be an an Independent Support service in your area and they can provide you with advice about an EHCP. To find out who the provider is and how to contact them see the following website. http://councilfordisabledchildren.org.uk/independent-support 

Scope has Independent Support Services in Leeds, Norfolk, Peterborough, Suffolk, Thurrock and Southend. If you live in one of those areas, get in touch with us at the helpline and we can refer you.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • ozzie
    ozzie Community member Posts: 1 Connected
    Options
    Hi Gabrielle. The advice about Independent Support is good but IS services (there might be more than one in your area) can only help you up to the issuing of an EHCP - no further. For independent, impartial and free professional advice - and above all, understanding (the service I worked for was staffed entirely by parents whose choildren had SEND) - contact your local SENDIAS (Special Educational Needs/Disability Information Advice and Support) service. Every local authority must have one and you should be able to find yours through the LA's Local Offer (an internet search will find it).
    Your SENDIAS service will be able to help with every aspect of SEND for people aged up to 25 and their parents/carers, including people trained by IPSEA (it's good if you can keep it under one roof). Wider support should cover, for example, help dealing with CAMHS. 
    They should also be able to point you towards local support groups etc. 
    Your SENDIAS service could well also offer Independent Support.
     I think that covers it, but do get in touch if you have any further questions
    All the best

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.