Any help to do the EHC application? And a support group for someone who feels as useless as I do? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Any help to do the EHC application? And a support group for someone who feels as useless as I do?

Gabrielle Member Posts: 2
edited August 2016 in Education
This discussion was created from comments split from: Fighting your LA for your child's rights.


  • Gabrielle
    Gabrielle Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2016
    I want to get an EHC plan in place for my daughter who has ASS and SLD underlying depression, aspects of dyslexia and dyspraxia poor short term memory and altered cognitive thinking skills, she is extremely clever and articulate, but socially very inept both with others and family members, she has made friends but none ever bother with her, our home has become a house with 4 sad people sharing it, lately she has been distraught over the break up with her boyfriend after 8 months.

    I sought help from social services previously but they didn't believe her aggression was as bad or as physical as it was and blamed me saying u was putting my mental health problems on her, they slated me and put her on the at risk register , only for a brief time. She was only fully diagnosed st 15 having seen 3 paediatricians 5 lots of CAMHS, speech and language etc,,, nothing,,, finally I managed to get her seen at Manchester by professor green.

    She is going to college next year and I would like some extra support for her and us to see her through this and hopefully beyond. I have depression, anxiety, OCD paranoia, fibromyalgia, CFS, and I'm so so tired of fighting for anything I get for her and then fighting with her. I'm a single mum. Aged 53 do you think there is 1 any help available to do the EHC application. 2 a support group for someone who feels as useless as I do and 3 groups for high functioning ASD / Aspergers ? Thanks, hope this isn't too much , I'm at my wits end x
  • unluckyglo
    unluckyglo Member Posts: 9
    Maybe contact your local C.A.B they should have someone to help with the forms. Plus like library a list of groups in your area. Sorry not very helpful 
  • Geo08
    Geo08 Member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Hi @Gabrielle,

    First of comes a bit of a disclaimer, its not something I have been involved with (it was Statements of Special Education Needs when I was still at collage a couple of years ago) but I decided to do a little bit of research and thought it might be worth getting in touch with Independent Parental Special Education Advice (IPSEA) to see if they can help. They seem to have lots of information about EHCs:

    It appears they also have an advice line which might be able to offer more 'legal' insight:

    Unfortunately, it appears their line is closed for a two week holiday starting this Monday. If you need more urgent help it might be worth following the advice of @unluckyglo and asking your local CAB

    Hope this helps, if you need anyone to listen or to rant to I'm always about,

  • Debbie_Scope
    Debbie_Scope Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hi Gabrielle,

    There will be an an Independent Support service in your area and they can provide you with advice about an EHCP. To find out who the provider is and how to contact them see the following website. 

    Scope has Independent Support Services in Leeds, Norfolk, Peterborough, Suffolk, Thurrock and Southend. If you live in one of those areas, get in touch with us at the helpline and we can refer you.

    Best wishes
  • ozzie
    ozzie Member Posts: 1
    Hi Gabrielle. The advice about Independent Support is good but IS services (there might be more than one in your area) can only help you up to the issuing of an EHCP - no further. For independent, impartial and free professional advice - and above all, understanding (the service I worked for was staffed entirely by parents whose choildren had SEND) - contact your local SENDIAS (Special Educational Needs/Disability Information Advice and Support) service. Every local authority must have one and you should be able to find yours through the LA's Local Offer (an internet search will find it).
    Your SENDIAS service will be able to help with every aspect of SEND for people aged up to 25 and their parents/carers, including people trained by IPSEA (it's good if you can keep it under one roof). Wider support should cover, for example, help dealing with CAMHS. 
    They should also be able to point you towards local support groups etc. 
    Your SENDIAS service could well also offer Independent Support.
     I think that covers it, but do get in touch if you have any further questions
    All the best


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.