I have Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis - would I be able to get help with DLA/PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

I have Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis - would I be able to get help with DLA/PIP?

stephen Member Posts: 1
Good afternoon my name  is Stephen and i have a question  and hope that you can  help me. My  Question is, I have Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis - would I be able to get help with DLA also known as PIP please 


  • Debbie_Scope
    Debbie_Scope Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    Hi Stephen,

    Thanks for your question.

    Firstly can I ask how old you are because DLA has ended for working age adults and has been replaced with Personal Independence Payment (PIP). In order to qualify you have to be aged 16-64.

    PIP looks at how your disability affects you rather than the condition itself. Your entitlement to PIP is assessed on your ability to carry out the 12 activity descriptors. You score points for each activity descriptor.
    There are 10 activity descriptors for the Daily Living component of PIP and you need to score 8 points to qualify for the standard rate and 12 points for the enhanced rate.
    There are two activity descriptors for the Mobility component and again you need to score 8 points for the standard rate and 12 for the enhanced.

    With each activity you have to be able to carry out the activity safely, reliably and in good time.

    The Benefits and Work website has a really handy PIP self-assessment test and you can go through all of the descriptors and score yourself as you go along. This might give you an idea of whether you will qualify. http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php
    Also see our PIP pages too for some more PIP resources including all the details you need to make a claim. http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/money/pip

    If you have any further questions, let me know and I'm happy to talk them through with you.

    Best wishes

  • Abi
    Abi Member Posts: 6
    Hi Stephen,

    My name is Abi and I have Cystic Fibrosis which has many similarities with pulmonary fibrosis. I have been in receipt of DLA (both mobility & carer's allowance for some time). I imagine I will have to change to PIP allowance soon but I have not yet been told that I have to switch.

    All the best with your application,



Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.