Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Housing option for someone with cerebral palsy who requires 24 hour supervision

JuliePetJuliePet Member Posts: 3
edited September 2016 in Disabled people
Does anyone know of a housing option for someone with cerebral palsy and a mile learning difficulty who requires 24 hour supervision in case of emergencies? I am really struggling - I can only seem to find houses with people with severe medical needs who cannot communicate or houses for people with mental disabilities - can anyone help?


  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    Hi JuliePet,

    Which part of the country do you live in? I can carry out a search and help find you some options.

    The best place to start is your local council either the housing department or adult social care. Both departments can look at your options and provide you with advice on finding the right housing for you.

    I might be able to offer you a referral to one of our Regional Information and Advice workers (depending on where you live) and they might be able to help you with this too.

    There are also some great resources and information on the Housing and Support Alliance website. http://www.housingandsupport.org.uk/home. Another good starting place.

    Best wishes

  • JuliePetJuliePet Member Posts: 3
    HI Debbie,

    Thanks for getting back. We live in the Northwest in Ellesmere Port. I have been working with a social worker but we have only been able to find properties at present which have people with quite severe mental disabilities - although they do have some additional physical needs as well. The social worker seems to have run out of options for us and says that there is a massive need to provide care for those with physical disabilities. 

    Any help you can give me will be much appreciated as I appear to be running out of options and this is a really hard process.

    Kinds regards,

  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    Hi Julie,

    Sorry for the delay in responding to your last post. I'd like to talk to our Regional Information and Advice Worker who covers your area to see if he has any ideas. Unfortunately he's on leave at the moment and returns next week. Are you ok to hold on?

    Thanks for your patience :)
  • JuliePetJuliePet Member Posts: 3
    Of-cause, Thank you for taking the time to come back to me. We are having very real problems finding anything which is suitable.
  • StripesStripes Member Posts: 24 Listener

    Dear Julie Pet

    I am the information and advice worker for your area. My colleague from the helpline has asked me to respond to your post around housing issues.

    If you still require some advice and information perhaps you could drop me an email at [email protected] with your contact details and I can and have a chat with you and see if their are any options available,

    I look forward to hearing from you


    Ian Jones

    Information and Advice Worker Northern Region

Sign in or join us to comment.