Education and learning
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Nine year old daughter struggling at school

sam74sam74 Member Posts: 3
edited September 2016 in Education and learning
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hello my name is Hannah and I'm an educational psychologist.


  • sam74sam74 Member Posts: 3
    Hi I have a 9 year old daughter who has struggled with school ever since she has started , she has been in a iep for the last 2 years but just before she broke up for summer holidays her teacher informed me that she's not improving and things they have put in place to help her are not working and that I will have to have a meeting with senco leader st school when she goes back to school next week , teacher thinks my daughter can't process information and that she forgets what learned as soon as told , she did mention dyslexia but said school don't test for it my daughter also has problems in her social life she is a very anxious child , scared of most things will not go in a park if to busy , will not go to friends houses or parties will even not stay at relatives houses unless I am with her , she will let anyone tell her what to do even children a lot younger and is very sensitive child if another child says not her friend she will get very upset please could you advise me as what could be wrong and how I could help her thankyou x
  • EducationalPsychologistEducationalPsychologist Member Posts: 119 Courageous
    Hello Sam74,
    Firstly, the only way to confirm or rule out dyslexia is through a full assessment by a psychologist or qualified specialist teacher, not a screener. The best way to understand what is going on for your daughter is for her to have an assessment exploring any learning, social or emotional concerns. Only once issues are clearly understood can interventions be most effectively targeted. An educational psychologist is well placed to do this. You can ask the school to refer you, contact your local authority service directly or find an independent practitioner. You may find the Facebook group 'It's not just you' a useful group to talk through your concerns.  
Sign in or join us to comment.