My son leaves school next year - how will things change going into adulthood services? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son leaves school next year - how will things change going into adulthood services?

Options
dappymare
dappymare Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2016 in Start here and say hello!
Hi, I'm mum to my 17yr old son who is non verbal, autistic with toilettes and learning disabilities. He's at 6th form at Mo but will leave school in the next year or so. I'm not sure how things will change as he goes into adulthood services?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    Options
    Hi @dappymare

welcome!

Transition planning is different in each area (each LA has their own way of doing things) so I would start by asking questions of the various professionals that are involved in his support to find out what their plans are.  If your son has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) (or it's predecessor, a statement of educational needs) then this should have included a plan for transitioning and what will be provided under adult services. 

If he hasn't got an EHCP it may be worth looking into this as whilst statements were applicable up until age 16, EHCPs can be in place up until age 25.  They cover educational, health, and social care support that needs to be provided and are written in accordance with the wishes and aspirations of the disabled young person (and their family where applicable). 

If you want to call the helpline and talk in more detail about your son, feel free.  We're on 0808 800 3333 m-f 9-5, or you can email helpline@scope.org.uk and we'll respond within three days.  Just mention that you've come to us from the online community, and your community username when you get in touch :)

warm wishes to you both,

-B 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.