Welcomes and introductions
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

My son leaves school next year - how will things change going into adulthood services?

dappymaredappymare Member Posts: 1
Hi, I'm mum to my 17yr old son who is non verbal, autistic with toilettes and learning disabilities. He's at 6th form at Mo but will leave school in the next year or so. I'm not sure how things will change as he goes into adulthood services?


  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128 Pioneering
    Hi @dappymare


    Transition planning is different in each area (each LA has their own way of doing things) so I would start by asking questions of the various professionals that are involved in his support to find out what their plans are.  If your son has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) (or it's predecessor, a statement of educational needs) then this should have included a plan for transitioning and what will be provided under adult services. 

    If he hasn't got an EHCP it may be worth looking into this as whilst statements were applicable up until age 16, EHCPs can be in place up until age 25.  They cover educational, health, and social care support that needs to be provided and are written in accordance with the wishes and aspirations of the disabled young person (and their family where applicable). 

    If you want to call the helpline and talk in more detail about your son, feel free.  We're on 0808 800 3333 m-f 9-5, or you can email [email protected] and we'll respond within three days.  Just mention that you've come to us from the online community, and your community username when you get in touch :)

    warm wishes to you both,


Sign in or join us to comment.