Speech — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


drewannie Member Posts: 4
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments
Hi my little boy max is 5years old.he hasnt had a diognisis.he cant sit up crawl walk or talk.
Is there any type of computer he could use to be able to communicate.


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @drewannie

    I hope you're getting support from health professionals for Max's needs, without knowing more it would be difficult to recommend computers.

    There is a page of tips on verbal and non-verbal communication that may help.

    Senior online community officer
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Member Posts: 406 Pioneering
    You should ask for a referral to a speech and language therapist who knows about AAC (augmentative and alternative communication) There are lots of ways your son can be helped to communicate but you do need to get some specialist support with this.  Communication is so important for every aspect of life, education and socialising (not being able to communicate can also lead to behaviour issues)  If you have a paediatrician ask them, or your health visitor.
    (my son is 18 now, and has never been able to speak but has just been offered a place at University to study maths....so not being able to speak or walk does not mean not being able to achieve!)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Pioneering
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • drewannie
    drewannie Member Posts: 4
    @drewannie.....Hi at 5 why has the GP or health visitor not pushed harder for diagnosis......I be on there back constantly....
    Max has had 2 mri and everytest possible.and they still donnt know.
    Its is usually called SWAN
    Syndrome without a name.
    Its on utube thousands of children have an been undiognosed.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.