Asperger Syndrome - Is it a LEGAL disability? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Asperger Syndrome - Is it a LEGAL disability?

Options
rainbow1
rainbow1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
please can someone let me know if AS if classified as a 'legal' disability

Comments

• Yiman60
    Yiman60 Community member Posts: 95 Connected
    Options
    http://www.autism.org.uk/about.aspx

Its a recognised neurodevelopmental illness.  
  • jamieknight
    jamieknight Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Hello,

Sorry neither of the above are technically correct. I deal with this stuff for my job, apologies for being a bit boring.

Autism / ASD /  Aspergers are neurodevelopment conditions as defined in ID10 and DSM-V (medial manuals). They are NOT an illness or a disease, thats a very different classification.

Part of being autistic is having impairments. It is diagnose by the presence of impairments in communication, social skills and flexibility. For example, i have impaired speech and most of the time cannot speak. An impairment may be a disability in some circumstances and thus the person becomes "disabled".

For the purposes of UK law having a formal diagnoses of Aspergers or any else means you have a legally recognised impairment.

If you applying for benefits, you have to prove that the impairments are disabling in your day to day life.

For most autistic people, one aspect of impairment due to being autistic will result in becoming disabled somehow (normally executive functioning skills etc) but Aspergers / ASD / Autism alone is not considered a disability.

Hope that helps, sorry its a bit complicated.

Kind Regards,

Jamie + Lion

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks @jamieknight - does this help you @rainbow1 ?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.