ASD and paid employment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ASD and paid employment

Stephen27
Stephen27 Community member Posts: 1 Listener

My son is 25years old. He is looking for paid employment, but is only being offered `volunteering` jobs, which is good, but doesn`t produce an income!

He is currently receiving Universal Credit, which is great, but he is struggling to comply with the requirements, and may well soon lose the benefit.

We have already been told that he is not eligible for E.S.A. We applied for P.I.P. two yrs ago, but this has not been agreed, pending an appeal.

In addition to this, due to a huge mistake at a local job centre, all his documents were accidently shredded, and I have little or no evidence for his assessment/diagnosis.

Our GP is very unhelpful, and just says that he will issue a `sick-note` but will not refer Stephen for an assessment or re-diagnosis.

The trouble is, my son presents quite well on first meeting, and employers do not really comprehend how ASD can affect everyday living.

I don`t know how to access help from health professionals/psychologists, except via our GP.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received, please...

Regards, Tina (French)

Comments

• eevans
    eevans Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    I would suggest that you need professional advice as to the best way forward.
    The citizens advice bureau are usually well placed to support with benefits issues -  maybe including tribunals.
    contact them for an appointment.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.