Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Bedroom tax stripping us of much-needed benefits - help needed
I'm parent carer of a young adult with autism . Im particularly worried about the future as my son gets older and finances get tighter and tighter , as bedroom tax continues to strip us of much needed benefits . We can't afford to pay for my son to have help to get out and we've had to get rid of tv. Yet the two bedrooms in question can barely fit a bed into them . Is there anyone that can legally help us ,re has legal aid all but gone ? Only we think the rooms may not be viable as two bedrooms . We asked landlord for them to be made into one room as my son has to put all his wardrobe and belongings in one small room and the bed in the other, yet this was refused. Who can we go to for help if at all please ?
- 53.1K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 762 Work and employment
- 578 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.5K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 929 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.