Can I 'register as disabled' without claiming any money? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Can I 'register as disabled' without claiming any money?

goldierocks Member Posts: 1
Hello.... I became disabled after an accident at work. My condition is permanent and life-long, which can be confirmed by my consultant and G.P.

My employer and occupational health team have been amazing, enabling me to return to work full-time. I can flex my schedule to accommodate my condition and work-from-home when necessary.
I am very lucky to be in a position where I can pay for the help and support I need in my day-to-day life from my salary. For example, a housekeeper/cleaner/cook/gardener/laundry service. I am a higher-rate taxpayer and claim no benefits (including no child benefit for my dependent child. I am a lone parent and the father pays no maintenance).

I recently looked into applying for services that would greatly improve my quality of life. For example, as I am medically excluded from driving and visit family and friends by train, I'd like to apply for a disabled person's railcard. My partner (we do not live together) assists with my shopping and taking me to medical appointments, and I would like to apply for a vehicle tax reduction for him. I also need to extensively modify my house; as I am getting older, I can no longer manage the stairs when I am alone at home. I would like to apply for a disabled facility grant.

The qualifying criteria for all the above is that I must be in receipt of PIP, however I have never made a claim. I don't want to receive any money - I am happy to continue covering the costs from my salary (I'd rather the money go to someone who needs it). Is it possible for me to 'register as disabled'/claim PIP without applying for money?

Thank you for your time.


  • Susan_1612
    Susan_1612 Member Posts: 6 Connected
    Dear Goldierocks, sadly there is no such thing as being "registered disabled". That disappeared in the early 1970s. The only way people can verify that you're disabled is if you are in receipt of disability related benefits. And you DO want money, you want a grant to help with modifying your house, reduced road fund license and a rail card. I suspect that what you don't want, understandably, is the stigma of claiming benefits. Sadly there is no other way. You now can't even get a blue disabled parking badge without PIP whereas it used to all be dealt with by the local authority. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,610 Disability Gamechanger
    You can qualify for Blue Badge without PIP in some circumstances, depending on your local authority.  Ask your local authority if they will consider Blue Badge applications without PIP.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Hi goldierocks,

    As both Susan_1612 and Matilda have said, PIP is the key to help with vehicle excise duty (road tax). If you're awarded PIP mobility component standard rate you get a 50% reduction and full exemption if you get the enhanced rate.

    Have a look at the PIP criteria at You need 8 points in total to get the standard rate and 12 points or more to get the enhanced rate. It really is worth claiming if you think you would qualify and the money itself is yours to do with as you wish.

    Best wishes,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Pioneering
    The user and all related content has been deleted.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.