What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Benefits that can assist while not working?


  • buffywinbuffywin Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I have ASD level 1, and am having difficulties keeping a job due to my sensory issues, are there any benefits out there that can assist me while I'm not working? 
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @buffywin

    Have you seen the Benefits Calculator? Its a great resource that enables disabled people and their families to access independent information on welfare and disability benefits and other sources of financial help.


    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

    Hi buffywin

    Firstly I would echo the advice already provided by Sam in her post above and advise you to post back on here if you have any difficulties with the benefits calculator or if there's anything you're not sure of. 

    Secondly, there is a benefit called personal independence payment that provides extra money to help if you’ve an illness, disability or mental health condition whether you’re working or not.

    If you are not working then depending on where you live and on your circumstances will determine whether you can claim universal credit (UC). You can check this here  

    If you are not able to claim UC then it will likely be jobseekers allowance if you are actively seeking and able to work or employment and support allowance if you are signed off as unfit or incapable of work by a doctor. In some limited circumstances income support remains an option but the benefits calculator should guide you through this. I have assumed as you mentioned working that you are working age.

    Hope that helps

    Best wishes


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.