Can I claim anything — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Can I claim anything

phylllis Member Posts: 2
hi I live with my husband and we have 3 children under 16 my husband has retired we get his state pension tax credits for the children and child Benidorm he also receives two small private pensions monthly I have had lower back problems for years and he is having to look after me with all household jobs cooking washing and my personal care just wanted to know if we would be entitled to any help financial or otherwise


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello Phyllis

    Firstly you mention that you have back problems and that your husband has to help you.  Depending on your age, you may be able to claim Personal Independence Payments (PIP).  PIP can be claimed by those between 16 and 65 years old who have difficulty with personal care and mobility.  If you are having difficulty cooking, dressing, washing, standing from a seated position or with walking then it may be worth considering a claim for PIP. 

    You can request a PIP application form on Telephone: 0800 917 2222 . You will be asked for certain information when first contacting PIP to request a form e.g. national insurance number, contact details, date of birth, GP name, if you have spent time abroad, in hospital or  a care home and for your bank account details.  So it is worth having this information to hand when contacting PIP.  You will then be sent a PIP application form.  A local advice agency such as Citizens Advice may then be able to help you complete the form.

    If PIP - daily care is awarded then your husband may be able to claim Carers Allowance.  BUT, the rules can be complicated for people who receive state retirement pension who then want to claim carers allowance.  So if PIP daily living is awarded I would seek further advice at this stage.

    Secondly, as your husband is claiming state retirement pension, you may be able to claim pension credit. This benefit tops up a low household income. 

    You do not mention if you are in rented or mortgaged accommodation.  There are benefits to assist people on very low income in each of these situations. The same is also true for council tax.

    There are online benefit calculators that may help you decide if you are entitled to pension credit, help with rent/mortgage and council tax. These are Turn2Us and entitledto.  Alternatively, a local advice agency may be able to advise you if you are entitled to claim.  When using the online benefit calculator or local advice agency you will need to know what your exact income is and how often you receive this income, the amount of rent/mortgage, council tax and the amount of your savings.

    Please post again if you are unsure of anything.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.