Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Disabled kids in Birmingham

Can someone plz help,I am disabled myself n have 2 disabled kids, we have no support at all.I don't know what we're entitled to,rest bite, grants etc. Kim


  • AlexAlex Posts: 1,325 Scope community team
    Hi @Kimnfrank,

    Welcome to the community. Hopefully our benefits advisor was able to help you with your other post.

    @Jackie is Scope's information and support worker who covers Birmingham, so might be able to help.

    It might also be helpful to look at our service directory here:

    (Type in your postcode in the top box and click "find services" at the bottom).

    We have a free emotional support group in Solihull and a service which helps with sleep. There are a number of other local services - it all depends on where you are, and what you need.

    I hope that helps. Thanks for joining.
  • JackieJackie Member Posts: 24 Connected
    Hi Kim
    Can you share with us a few more details on your disability so we can find some services local to you who might be able to support you? Also do your children go to a mainstream school or a special school?
    Do let us know so we can help you as best we can. It's so hard finding out what help is out there so you are not alone here. Also do you live in Birmingham itself?
    Let us know when you can.
  • KimnfrankKimnfrank Member Posts: 3 Listener

    I have mental health learning difficulties, ADHD and sciatica. My kids have ADHD and autism and go to mainstream school. We live in stechford Birmingham. Thanx. Kim

  • JackieJackie Member Posts: 24 Connected
    edited December 2016
    Hi Kim
    Have you heard about the Disability Resource Centre near Stechford? They have Information Officers based there who could give you some advice on local services. You say you have mental health problems and I am wondering whether you might be able to claim disability benefits in your own right. They give really good benefit advice and I would suggest you call them and ask whether you can make an appointment to speak to someone to make sure you are receiving everything you are entitled to both for you and your two children with additional needs. Their contact details are:Unit 18 Ace Business Park, Mackadown Lane, Birmingham B33 0LD Tel: 0303 040 2040
    Opening hours: 8:45am–5pm
    Ask also what help might be available to you yourself as a carer who herself has a disability as it may be that they can suggest some advocacy services for you to make it easier for you to be able to ask for any help. I know how difficult it is to sometimes be able to speak to people on the phone.
    Also I would suggest you ring the Autism West Midlands Helpline on <0303 03 00 111 and ask for their advice on your two children who have ASD and ADHD. They run a lot of Autism friendly activities around Bham and can give you advice on what services might be able to help you.Ask if you can go on their database so they can send you information on what is coming up.
    Another useful organisation for children with ASD is Resources for Autism [http://resourcesforautism.org.uk/] and they also offer help to families. They do have a waiting list of families to help but the sooner you get in touch with them the sooner they can get you down on this.
    Do give them a call and simply ask what they do and explain the difficulties you are having in managing your children's needs at home and when you are out. Their no is 020 8458 3259.
    Finally as you are caring for two children with additional needs I would suggest you give Bham Carers Hub a call and say you want some information on being a carer. They will be able to tell you about any help which might be available to you in the way of discounts and concessions which might just help with managing the costs of looking after two children with additional needs. They are always very helpful. Their no is 0333 006 9711 [low call rate].
    I hope this is helpful and you will let us know how you are getting on with this.
    You are one of many who is struggling to find out what help is out there so rest assured you are not alone here.
Sign in or join us to comment.