Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Benefits and work advice for my 20 year old son who has autism

sharwedsharwed Member Posts: 3 Listener
Please can I get some advice. My autistic 20 year old son has learning difficulties, mental health and some physical difficulties. He gets pips high care low mobility. He tries to work through agencies but can't hack it and gets ill or no longer required within a couple of weeks. What do I do please? Should I be getting esa for him? If so, how do I do that, and does he then just leave any work he's doing? Am at wits end! 


  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sharwed and welcome to the community.

    There is a benefits calculator that may be able to help you in seeing what he could be entitled to and some great information on benefits here.
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

    Hi sharwed

    Yes, if your son is unable to work due to illness then he could possibly make a claim to employment and support allowance however depending on where you live it could be a claim to universal credit instead. You can check if you are in a universal credit area by putting your postcode in here: universal credit

    He would need a medical certificate from his doctor confirming he is unable to work due to illness.

    Information about claiming either of the benefits I’ve mentioned can be found in the link that Sam posted in her reply but please post back on here if you need any further advice.

    Best wishes


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.