I've lost my carers allowance .. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've lost my carers allowance ..

A_l_2016
A_l_2016 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I don't know what to do 
.I need help in getting in and out of shower getting dressed from waist down help with housework . I have got p.I.p now and my carers allowance has been stopped can anyone tell me why and how do I go about getting it back thank you Anne .

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @A_l_2016 welcome to the community. 

I am moving this to the Ask a benefits advisor section where I hope they will be able to offer you information and support.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi @A_l_2016,

Can you tell us more about what has been stopped? Carer's allowance is a benefit for a person who helps you in your home, so I'm wondering if it is the care component of DLA (which maybe you got before) which has stopped?

Can you tell us which components of PIP you get, and what rate? You might get some points for dressing and undressing, and for getting in and out of the shower. You don't get any points for help with housework. That means it's difficult to tell whether you would qualify for the PIP daily living component. You need at least 8 points. There might be other activities where you should get points - have a look at the assessment test.

The first step if you think the decision about your PIP is wrong is to ask for a mandatory reconsideration. Do this within a month of the decision if you can. Meanwhile, do post back to give us more information or to ask more questions.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    Hi @A_l_2016

It's difficult to say why your carer's allowance has been stopped without knowing a bit more; it would be helpful to have some clarification on a few areas.

Carer's allowance is paid to the person doing the caring, not the person receiving the care, so I'm assuming you're a disabled person who is also doing some caring for someone else.  Has the person you are caring for had a change in circumstances?  for example, have they lost their daily living component of PIP?

Alternatively, if you meant that someone was getting carer's allowance for caring for you; has something about their circumstances changed?

Or, if you meant a different benefit (for example, severe disability premium; which is paid to disabled people who get PIP, live alone and don't have anyone claiming carer's allowance) has been stopped - could you clarify what's stopped and whether anything else has recently changed about your circumstances?

If it's easier, you could call the Scope helpline for a chat - 0808 800 3333.  

If you'd rather not call but need to share personal details, we'd advise you to email us (helpline@scope.org.uk) rather than post them on here :)

Thanks,

-Rosie
  • BenefitsTrainingCo

PS @A_l_2016,

As Rosie says, if it is carer's allowance that has been stopped and you were receiving it, then it's worth checking whether there has been a change of circumstances in the care you provide or in the other person's circumstances.

If someone was getting carer's allowance for you and that has stopped, that person will need to ask for the mandatory reconsideration if the decision is wrong.

If another benefit has stopped or changed (for example, part of your employment and support allowance or housing benefit - the severe disability premium as Rosie suggests), then let us know exactly what is different and we can try to identify whether the change to benefits is correct, or whether it can be challenged.

As Rosie says, do call or email the helpline if you would prefer to talk it through rather than posting it here.

Will

• A_l_2016
    A_l_2016 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you I've sorted it now I get pip and. I get 12 points but I do get something monthly due to disability .
  • BenefitsTrainingCo

Hi @A_l_2016

To be on the safe side and to make sure you’re not missing out on anything you may be entitled to I would advise you get a full benefit check. You can use an online tool to do this by clicking on this link - benefits check - or alternatively contact the helpline as suggested by Rosie and Will.

Best wishes

Paul

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.