Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Hi, my name is asam82!

asam82asam82 Member Posts: 3 Listener

I have a disabled father currently living in a 4 bed housing association property by himself but however due to his health over the recent months is getting worse and he can not even get up very well on his own. We are looking to move him to a more suitable property to enable him to live independently with disabled facilities. Where can we find this as Housing Association will not help? 




  • izaiza Member Posts: 471 Pioneering
    Hi  Asam82, 

    I think if it is council tenant than you should go you Local Council Office for more information and perhaps get in touch with Local Social Services Office. 
    I do knot know much about this aspect of life yet but I read information that you need to have a disable person assessed. As long as feel you could ask GP dr to get referral to Social Services Office for assessing the stage of disability of your father and then with more info in hands you probably could get into process of swapping house to grand floor one. This is what my intuition tells me I would do if I would be in your place. But I am not any kind of expert or advice at all. 
  • asam82asam82 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks Iza for your advice. It's a Housing Association property so is nothing to to with council. We are still waiting for doctors to get back to us about getting an occupational therapist out to assess my father's needs but it's been like 2 months now since we first enquired about this and still getting no further.
  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    Hello @asam82,

    I'm surprised that the housing association isn't being more helpful here. Have they explained their housing policy and whether a transfer on medical grounds would be possible?

    It could be that they are waiting for the outcome of the Occupational Therapist's report before they make a decision or provide further advice?

    There can be quite long waiting lists for OT assessments. It might be worth checking directly with the OT department to make sure they have the referral. They might even be able to give you a rough time frame of how long the wait will be.

    It might be a good idea to get a local service such as Age UK involved with this.

    I would be happy to look into this a bit more for you. Which housing association is involved here and which part of the country does your father live in?

    If you don't want to share this information in public, please feel free to get in touch with me at the helpline.

    Best wishes
  • asam82asam82 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    HI @DebbieVoakes,

    What's your email address I can communicate with you on to discuss further?



  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    Hi @asam82,

    Email [email protected] and mark it for me. My colleagues will make sure it gets to me.

    Best wishes
Sign in or join us to comment.