How can I apply for higher rate DLA — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

How can I apply for higher rate DLA

leoness1 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi im 62 have fibromyalgia and arthritic bursar's. ...I only get care allowed e of dla how can I apply for a higher rate


  • iza
    iza Community Co-Production Group Posts: 525 Pioneering
    Hi Leoness 1 please contact the adviser directly or call the scope for more advise. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @leoness1 welcome to the community.  There is lots of information about DLA here.  I believe that if your care needs to be reassessed whilst on DLA that you may be potentially moved on to PIP.

    "Personal Independence Payments (PIP) were introduced in 2013 to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

    Existing Disability Living Allowance claimants are only reassessed if:

    • An existing DLA claimant’s fixed-term award is ending soon.
    • The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) receives information about a change in their care or mobility.

    From October 2015 all working-age people still receiving DLA will be reassessed and if their claim is successful, moved onto PIP." 

    You can read more about PIP here.

    Senior online community officer
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    hi, the way things are looking id stay on what you are getting till you are called to change to pip,
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi Leoness1

    Sam_Scope is right, it is no longer possible to increase a DLA award. The only option would be to apply for PIP which can be quite high risk. As Sam says you could have a look at the PIP pages - and by all means get back to us if you have any unanswered questions.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Jackie
    Jackie Member Posts: 24 Connected

    Hi Leoness1

    Just another quick bit of advice, if you click on the following link it will take you to the CAB website which gives more information on how to complete a PIP form. It  gives good examples of which boxes to tick depending on your ability to care for yourself and get about/move around. Like others have commented, however, most people are being advised to be extremely cautious about applying for PIP while still in receipt of DLA as the criteria is much stricter:



  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,610 Disability Gamechanger
    Also look at the PIP section on the Disability Rights website.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.