DLA to Pension — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

DLA to Pension

malhut1951 Member Posts: 3 Listener
hi well before christmas im called to a PIP assessment because DLA is stopping because im now 65. Ive umpteen medical problems from cancer, depression, cardio vascular, cervical spondylosis and hardening of the arteries etc etc. I get 4 points and told no benefit. Five weeks on no answer to consideration. So no benefits since before Christmas and then have to apply for my pension which now im told is paid in arrears so my payment next week. What a joke this country is. We are treat as trash by all the governments


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @malhut1951 welcome to the community, I am sorry you are struggling with this. 

    If you have a specific question about benefits, you can post in the ask a benefits advisor category, or if you just want to chat to others in a similar situation, you might like to read and post in the benefits and money section.

    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,610 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @malhut1951 - DLA doesn't automatically stop because someone reaches 65.  Everyone awarded DLA indefinitely who was under 65 in April 2013 (I think the 8th of the month was the cut-off) will at some point have to be re-assessed for PIP, claimants being called on a random basis.  Sounds like you were randomly called.

    If your mandatory reconsideration makes no change, you can appeal.

    Sam gives advice above.  The Scope helpline could also advise you about the availability of face-to-face advice in your area, e.g. CAB.

    PIP assessors and the DWP appear to be making some bizarre decisions about PIP eligibility which is why over 60% of appeals are successful.  So don't give up hope.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.