Financial Help — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Financial Help

lindy64 Member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi, l was wondering if someone could tell me why l can't get any help financially for my daughter, she is 22 and lives with me, she is in full time education. I am a pensioner, l struggle every week getting by. Can anyone advice me please.


  • mossycow
    mossycow Member Posts: 487 Pioneering
    edited January 2017
    Do you mind me asking lindy, are either of you disabled? or are you working round her being in education and you being a pensioner?

    Have you called the Scope helpline?  its   0808 800 3333   and free. I called as I wasn't coping with financial stuff and a very knowledgeable lady called me back and really helped. It may be easier to discuss personal finance and needs with them.

    So sorry its  struggle, I reckon you can definitely get real help to make it easier and real support on here to help cope with it.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lindy64 can you tell us more information? 

    We have benefits advisors on the community but we do need to know your circumstances.
    Senior online community officer
  • lindy64
    lindy64 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    Hi, l have a daughter who lives with me she suffers from mental illness problems, so she can't work. She attends a music academy which is the only thing she is able to do, but on occasions she doesn't even go there as she can't get out of bed. But because she is able to sometimes go to the academy the powers to be says she should be able to work!! I am 65 and on state pension, l get no help for my daughter at all, l am her registered carer as there are time when she can't be left alone,(self harms) but until she has a diagnosis which we have been told could be up to 18 months,  l can't claim carers allowance for her. I am finding it harder and harder to manage money wise. Is there any help at all that l can get. Please try and help me.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,610 Disability Gamechanger
    I think it would help if your spoken with a benefits advisor, such as CAB or similar organisation, face to face.  The Scope helpline could advise you about advice centres in your area.  Also, Mind might be able to offer some advice.  They have a helpline, the number for which should be on their website.  Also, it might be worth phoning Age UK.
  • lindy64
    lindy64 Member Posts: 9 Listener
  • lindy64
    lindy64 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    Mossycow, Thank you for replying.My daughter has mental illness, possible Aspergers  l myself suffer from fibromyalgia and a bad back. But no one seems to think those things warrant any help.
  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    HI @lindy64, you might like to try asking our benefits advisors here to see if they can provide any advice.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.