Olaf with a hearing impairment, Hulk with a diabetic pump and a ballerina with a prosthesis — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Olaf with a hearing impairment, Hulk with a diabetic pump and a ballerina with a prosthesis

Options
ToyLikeMe
ToyLikeMe Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Once upon a time, back in 1983, there was a seven year old girl watching Blue Peter when her heart skipped a beat with joy. She screamed for her mother, who came quickly. There was big news to tell.

“There’s someone like ME on the TV!” screamed the girl leaping from her seat and pointing at the presenter on screen. “She’s got a hearing aid like ME!!!”

In that moment the girl had seen herself represented in the cultural mainstream for the first time. After a quick inspection, the mother gently explained that it was not a hearing aid, but a talk-back ear piece so the presenter could hear the director talking to her from the gallery. It looked like a hearing aid but the presenter wasn’t deaf. The girl’s heart sank.

That girl was me. 

Olaf, the snowman from Frozen, wearing a hearing aid

In 2015, after realising my own children’s toys still bore no representations of disability, I founded #ToyLikeMe, a creative collective of artists celebrating disability in toys and calling the global toy industry to positively represent 150 million disabled children worldwide.

Our current project sees the launch of Toy Box Tales is an online exhibition of 12 stunning photographic images of mainstream toys customised to give them diff:abilities.

Barbie doll being pulled away by balloons

150 million diff:abled children worldwide are culturally marginalised by the very industries which exist to entertain and educate them. They are almost invisible across children’s industries. But this Christmas, the sparkle-filled winds of change are sweeping through the toy box as the nimble-fingered modelling skills of #ToyLikeMe have created a doll-sized prosthetic leg, given Hulk a diabetic line, customised the cast of Frozen, and in homage to fashion model Winnie Harlow, present the world’s first rollerblading doll with vitilgo!

Doll with vitiligo on roller-skates

It’s time diff:ability got a creative airing in design, for too long diff:abled people have been portrayed as pity-inducing, negative and snooze-worthy. Toy wheelchairs are nearly always grey and found in hospital sets. What does that tell kids? We want to shake out the dust, chuck on the sparkles and play creatively and fearlessly with representations of diff:ability in childhood.

Hulk smashing cars with diabetes pump attached to his chest

The full collection of photographs is available to view at the Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital and online at toylikeme.org

Doll with ToyLikeMe logo

What do you think of representing disabled children in their toys?  Do you know of any toys that look like you? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.