Fancy a challenge? Super Hero Series Triathlon — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fancy a challenge? Super Hero Series Triathlon

milo
milo Community member Posts: 129 Pioneering

For so many of us with a disability, the truth is that daily life is full of challenges whether we like it or not. So why then would I choose to add another? 

Now you're probably wondering what I'm on about. Well at 42 years old, I've set myself the goal of taking part in a triathlon in August 2017. The event in question is the inaugural Superhero Series event. In case you haven't heard about it (and I hadn't until about 3 weeks ago) it is the brainchild of Paralympian Sophia Warner.

Her ethos is simple, it is to be fully inclusive. She's been part of supposedly inclusive events where the course is being dismantled while disabled competitors are still far from the finish line. In her own words 

"“I have cerebral palsy and was the first disabled person to enter the London Triathlon back in 1998. Even as an elite athlete I found it hard to keep up and had to ask other participants for help with my wetsuit and to get my bike down from the bike rack. I’ve also taken part in fun runs where the roads have reopened and organisers have started clearing up before I’ve had a chance to finished. Not as much fun as it could be.

The idea is simple. To create fun, gutsy events where people with disabilities call the shots and don't have to worry about cut-off times or equipment restrictions. If you need flippers or floats in the water, or want to use your powered wheelchair we make it possible. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, anything goes.".

You can compete as an individual or as part of a team with able bodied participants, essentially you can do whatever you need to do in order to take part. On the day, there will also be some celebrity competitors, including Gold medal winning Rio Paralympian Kadeema Cox. 

A row of cartoon athletes under a spotlight

As for my own participation, I know that I won't be the fastest there but that's not my aim. I'm planning to take part with my able bodied brother. As I sink like a stone as soon as I get near water, he's going to do the swimming and I think we'll do the bits on dry land together. It'll be the first time we've ever competed together and there will no doubt be a bit of sibling rivalry on the day.

I'm already a regular gym user so I'm adapting my usual workout to build up a bit of speed and stamina in my chair. Mind you, if you're there on the day and see a knackered, red-faced guy struggling to push a chair, a bit of encouragement is always welcome. 

Super Hero Tri logo

My hope is that events like this show that disability and, in my case, a wheelchair are not barriers to setting and achieving personal goals. Who knows, maybe we could challenge the Scope office to put together a team?

Oh and  in case you're wondering, if you find two blokes at the pub after the race, the pints are purely medicinal. And mine's a Guinness.

Scope are a charity friend to the Super Hero Series, if you would like to sign up for a Scope charity place in the triathlon or find out more information, take a look at the Scope Super Hero page or contact the Events Team on 0207 619 7270 or at events@scope.org.uk

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.