Signed off work, am I eligible for esa? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Signed off work, am I eligible for esa?

sarahanne Member Posts: 3 Listener
I'm currently signed off with depression, stress and anxiety. What help can I get? Would I be eligible for esa. And would I get further help if I terminated my employment if I felt I couldn't return? Tia


  • Stayce
    Stayce Member Posts: 755 Pioneering
    Hi @sarahanne
    Good to have you on board the community- Welcome 

    I am sorry to hear you are currently signed off work.

    We have a number of discussions at the moment around esa here under the benefits and finances section of the community

    Also you can directly ask a benefits advisor here any of your questions

    Hope this helps

    Best wishes
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    edited January 2017
    Hi @sarahanne,

    If you're signed off and getting statutory sick pay (SSP) then you can't get ESA for the time being. If you don't get SSP (maybe because you don't earn enough), then you should claim ESA.

    If you end your employment by giving notice then statutory sick pay would end. Once you are no longer employed, your employer doesn't have to pay you sick pay. So then you could claim ESA.

    To begin with you submit sick notes from your GP and you get ESA of £73.10 a week. Eventually (it should be after 13 weeks but is often longer) you have an assessment which consists of a questionnaire you have to fill in and return, and usually a medical too.

    It's hard to say what would happen at this stage but you need to score at least 15 points to get ESA. You can look at the points system here (it's in appendix 1 of the factsheet). If you do score enough points, you may get a little bit more money, but it depends on which group you are placed in, and whether you claim before 6 April 2017.

    Bear in mind that ESA in the assessment phase is less than SSP. You might want to check what other benefits you could receive too, such as housing benefit if you pay rent, or PIP if your conditions are affecting social and home life too.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.