Heating allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Heating allowance

I get so annoyed that anyone of pension age gets a heating allowance that isn't means tested and yet disabled people also need help but don't get it!
People who are considerably weathy get money every year and yet we have our heating on low because we can't afford to turn it up!
Yes we get money if the temp falls below zero for x amount of days but we very rarely get that and yet we are at home all day everyday and so we need help.
There is a very clear neglect of disabled people by the government, my Pip pays the rent top up because the LHA rate isn't enough to rent a suitable property in our area and we scrape through!


  • hedgehog45th
    hedgehog45th Member Posts: 6 Connected
    Hi @Zec Richardson
    I really don't want to add to your frustrations if this is a road you have already been down. However are you aware of the Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)?
     I wasn't and was struggling with my bills too. I spoke to my local councillor, who helped me to get a meeting with the lady in charge of the DHP and once she meet me and I explained that the rent rates don't allow for people that can't live in your "average" house. She sorted everything and I then had my rent topped up to full.
    I agree about the cold weather payments being less than useless and do feel something should be done. Maybe we (the forum) should all lobby our local MP's and have it raised in parilment? It's the only way anything will change.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,610 Disability Gamechanger
    Disabled people on certain benefits may be eligible for free loft insulation and cavity wall insulation.  Look on the gov.uk and CAB websites.
  • Zec Richardson
    Zec Richardson Member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    We don't have cavity walls lol
    Our lagging is bordering on acceptable, so that was no good!

    I didn't know about that with the housing payments though, thank you
  • hedgehog45th
    hedgehog45th Member Posts: 6 Connected
    Hi @Zec Richardson
    Here's bit more info on it. But like I said find out who your Councillor is (through your local/borough council) and get them to help. They carry weight and usually come and visit you at home. With a councillor behind you, you should be ok, I'll cross my fingers for you anyway.
  • GG44
    GG44 Member Posts: 28 Connected
    Useful information I can share with someone who is offline.
  • RainbowJo
    RainbowJo Member Posts: 79 Courageous
    u might be entitled to the 

    warm home scheme (or discount)

    u can call ur energy supplyer (electric) and ask them. its £140 off ur bill. it is send to ur electricty supplyer only. u can call and find out when to register for this winter coming. 

    hope that helps. 
  • RainbowJo
    RainbowJo Member Posts: 79 Courageous
    oh forgot. u will have to reregister every year so u might want to put a reminder in ur callender (i put it in the callendar so it will remind me like its an event like a birthday lol)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.