Parking space — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Parking space

Gaza69690 Member Posts: 5 Listener
Been looking for some info on getting my employer to get a disabled parking space at my office, been asking for 12 months and was told last week to cut out a template myself and spray one on the ground.


  • bam
    bam Member Posts: 326 Pioneering
    Hello @Gaza69690 how are you? I think that is extremely outrageous. I'm glad I live in America where it's the law that public places have to  have disabled parking spaces. I think that is just outrageous that your employer hasn't made up space for you. Maybe you should show them and paint one on yourself. It would Show them. Good luck to you
  • bubbly
    bubbly Scope Volunteer Posts: 26 Connected
    Threaten legal action as that has to be disability discrimination! If it's a big company is there occupation health who you could contact or can you escalate the issue? It surely would be "reasonable adjustments". Good luck!
  • Gaza69690
    Gaza69690 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    The company I work for employees over 3500 people but because the site I work on is own by the local council and its a fight trying to get heard by either one
  • JayPee
    JayPee Member Posts: 13 Listener
    Do you have a union/ HR department? Start with them. There is an obligation to provide parking.  Orhave they already met their obligation - ie provided some but there aren't enough accessible spaces for everyone?
  • Gaza69690
    Gaza69690 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    No disabled parking at all
  • JayPee
    JayPee Member Posts: 13 Listener
    Go to your HR and suggest that they make two spaces into one accessible space for you while they sort out the "legalities /red tape". It wont be ideal but might be useful and certainly a kick in the right direction. Have a look in your employers Equality Policy.  Ask HR how they are meeting their obligations? Are you in a union? 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.