Husband with epilepsy has been awarded 0 points for pip — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Husband with epilepsy has been awarded 0 points for pip

tracoops Member Posts: 8 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Advice needed - turned down for PIP - epilepsy.


  • tracoops
    tracoops Member Posts: 8 Listener
    My husband has also been awarded 0 points for pip he has epilepsy he suffers from grand mal, petit mal and absences also he has drop attacks....wondering whether or not to bother appealing....any advise please.
  • emkins40
    emkins40 Member Posts: 28 Connected
    I think you need to consider the majority of the time rule, do you keep a seizure diary ? I use seizure tracker on line record and this was used as evidence. It's to do with regularly and majority of the time rule. If your husband is still having seizures despite medication then in theory if your GP were to confirm the epilepsy is uncontrolled he would qualify for the majority of the time rules. Please use the epilepsy society guidelines and remember it's not about what he can do but what help they say he should need. So for example of course I make myself cups of tea for example and just risk it. But I made them aware of the dangers of me doing that. Dropping boiling water, when cooking the risk of burning myself. Using a knife to chop vegetables. Crossing a road without a companion possibility of road accidents. Bathing without supervision risk of drowning etc. I definitely think you should appeal. Go for it! Just write a really good statement! Plus GP back up. Good Luck
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Pioneering
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi tracoops,

    You certainly should consider challenging the decision. Keep an eye on the time limits - you have one calendar month from the date on the decision letter to ask for a reconsideration and then if that is not successful, another calendar month to ask for an appeal. 

    Your husbands diagnoses are not in themselves enough to qualify for PIP. He must show that his daily living and/or mobility are affected sufficiently. Go through the PIP descriptors on the Scope benefits pages to identify which you think apply. Try and get extra evidence to help show the problems your husband has. This might be a letter from a doctor or other health professional, a carer or someone who knows him well. As emkins40 posted, the epilepsy society has some good info on their website.

    It is worth challenging the decision and although it can feel like an uphill struggle there is a good success rate for appeals. 

    Good luck - and post back if you have any more questions.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • tracoops
    tracoops Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Thank you michael,  we have been to the citizens advice bureau this morning and they are going to help us with our reconsideration....Will keep you posted 
  • tracoops
    tracoops Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Is it correct that rules have changed for the better e.g. for supervision and mobility.
  • Debbzz
    Debbzz Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Appeal we did we went to a tribunal it was hard but we won and we got the money back dated it took almost a year though good luck
  • tracoops
    tracoops Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Well done debzz pleased for you....hope we are successful x
  • tracoops
    tracoops Member Posts: 8 Listener
    If you don't mind me asking debbzz what award did your husband get?  And was the tribunal itself hard?
  • Paul7210
    Paul7210 Member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Hi Tracoops, did you get the pip decision over turned for your husband?


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.