Read me: How do I claim PIP and where can I get help filling the form in? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Read me: How do I claim PIP and where can I get help filling the form in?

Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA

How do I claim PIP?

The initial claim is made by calling 0800 917 2222. You need your National Insurance Number, your bank details, and your GP and other medical professionals’ contact details to hand. Someone can call on your behalf, but you need to be with them when they call.

A claim form is then sent out to you, and you have a month or so to complete it and send it back. You need to make sure that you state exactly how your condition affects you on this form, filling out the descriptor points for each activity as detailed here as you complete the form. These points describe how well you can (or cannot) perform a specific activity, and will have a significant impact on the success of your claim and the level of PIP which you are awarded.

You might find it helpful to first complete the PIP self-assessment test on the Benefits and Work website, which will give you an idea of how many points you would score (based on your own assessment of how your condition affects you).

If you’re currently receiving Disability Living Allowance (DLA), are over 16 and were born after 8 April 1948, you’ll receive a letter about claiming for PIP 20 weeks before your DLA ends.

You can find out more about how to claim PIP on the government’s website. Additional information on Personal Independence Payment benefits can be found on on Scope's PIP information page.

Where can I get help filling out my PIP claim form?

You can find a very helpful question-by-question guide to filling in your PIP claim form on the Citizens Advice website.

Your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau should also be able to provide you with PIP advice and guidance on filling out the form.

Check Scope’s Services Directory to see if there is a local information and advice service which can assist you with the form-filling.

If you cannot complete the form in time call the PIP claim line as soon as possible and ask for an extension.

Once you’ve filled out and returned the form, you’ll be sent an appointment to be assessed in line with your claim by an independent healthcare professional. If you provided the DWP with a mobile telephone number they will send you text messages to keep you informed of the progress of your claim.

This discussion has been closed.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.