University support for Cerebral Palsy — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

University support for Cerebral Palsy

Options
SusannaParker
SusannaParker Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Hello,

I am a Wellbeing Project Worker a University Student Services and have been seconded to organise a series of 'Lunch & Learn' sessions for staff.  Each month we focus on how to provide the best support for students with a specific disability. The idea of the sessions is to share and increase knowledge and good practice relevant to our work in student services. There is a lot of theory, research etc discussed but I feel the main focus has to be what people with the disability (and those around them) feel we should provide. 

Later in the academic year, one of the sessions will be focussing on Cerebral Palsy.  so I would be grateful for your thoughts on how best staff in a University Student Services facility can support students with cerebral palsy. All thoughts welcome and I hope we can improve the day to day service we provide.

Many thanks,

Susanna

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi @SusannaParker welcome to the community, in my opinion, I always think getting a disabled person to lead or have significant input into sessions like this is the most important thing, so could you recruit a student with CP to work with you on this?

You might also like to have a look at the Scope Role Models programme, that aims to create inclusive learning environments and start conversations about disability.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 502 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, this caught my eye as my son (with significant athetoid CP) has an offer from a northern RusselL group Uni in Sept and we are just starting all the discussions now about support etc.  The one thing I would stress here though is that CP is a VERY broad label and so you need to be clear with those on your course that apart from about 4 distinct types of CP, which mean that different parts of the brain are affected, each type affects people in very different ways!  But great that you are doing this

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.