Hi, I'm new and need some advice on ssp pls — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, I'm new and need some advice on ssp pls

mac123 Member Posts: 1 Listener
hi my husband is disabled currently bed ridden and has been mostly for last 10 month with a leg frame. At first job paid him 3 months then ssp, now they say they overpaid and should have given him ssp for the first 3 months and want the money back, were really struggling since he can work at home and occupational health people said he can but his boss/company say no he needs to be in his office at work site as company policy now. He can't return for another month at least if not 2. Can anyone advise please? Thanks very much :)


  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Hi @mac123, welcome to the community. I've moved your discussion to our benefits advisors' section as they may be able to offer you some advice on this.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello mac123

    I am sorry to hear that your husband is ill and facing a worrying employment issue.

    SSP is paid by an employer for employees that are unable to work.  SSP lasts for 28 weeks.

    Generally SSP will start from the first day a person is unable to work. Some people will just get SSP while others can get 'sick pay' which is a combination of SSP and additional sick pay from their employer. A contract of employment will tell you what sick pay your husband should receive, that is, is it just SSP or SSP plus an additional amount from the employer.  

    If your husband is in a union, I would strongly advise your husband to seek advice from them.  Otherwise i would seek advice from an employment specialist not only in regards to the SSP issue but also the policy on sickness/disability and home working.  A local law center or advice center may have an employment specialist. 


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.