Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Ageing and CP Hi, my name is Poppy1!
I want to explore ageing with CP. I've read everything I can get hold of online about CP and the ageing process and it seems to mirror my own experiences up to a point but then, I hit a brick wall. I am 52 and have had CP since birth. I have, until recently, been quite active, raising a family, working and being involved in Disability Rights. All this has slowly fallen away as I have experienced physical changes that are well documented, e.g. joint pain, deafness (too much head banging) and fatigue. These are chronic conditions that have increased over time. Just recently, I had a really bad fall resulting in my head being glued back together, like Humpty Dumpty. I was told that my blood. pressure was high. I have gained weight quite quickly and believe that part of this is due to reduced activity and the onset of the menopause but I also believe that my CP plays a part in my high BP. Daily activities such as washing, dressing, housework, shopping, talking, are hard work. I do try to exercise but have to balance this with fatigue and stiffness which result in falls as described above. There are things I can do, like spreading housework out over days rather than hours, shopping online more, eat healthy (low sugar, fat and dairy) and I try to do all these but I still feel there is not enough research out there for older disabled people, specifically those of us going through life changes, such as the menopause or just the ageing process. It is not enough to assume that our impairments will have no impact on these life changing experiences. So, if you are reading this and recognise my experiences and concerns, please share them and let's start helping ourselves. Because I haven't got time for the rest of the world to catch up.. Thanks
- 53.1K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 760 Work and employment
- 578 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.5K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 929 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.