Holiday in FE term time — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Holiday in FE term time

jue123
jue123 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hiya I am a newbie

Our son is 20 years old, with non-verbal ASD, Epilepsy, sleeping disorder and has lots of care needs and attends a college for learning difficulties.

We have booked a holiday to Florida in May as we don't get respite or anything. The thing is we can't go in the summer holidays as it is too hot 90 C and it creates further medical problems like severe dehydration for our son.

I haven't told the college yet about our holiday booking, do you think we will be fined? or does it apply to school age pupils?

I feel like an ASBO!!! He will be absent for 9 days.

Any information would be appreciated

Comments

• Kress
    Kress Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi there!  Sounds like you're going to have an amazing time!

My understanding is that this only applies to students upto the age of 16 because missing days impacts upon students being able to get good GCSEs. Also, many councils have slightly relaxed the rules on fines after a parent successfully argued in court against the fine last year.

If, by some chance this does apply to your son, the headteachers are able to give permission in 'exceptional circumstances' - so you could also argue this if you needed to.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi, I think @Kress is right - the law only applies to younger students. 

So it'll be up to the rules of the college. It seems like you have a very good reason - so I'd be surprised if they don't allow it.
  • jue123
    Thanks for your replies. Very helpful.

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jue123 did you go to Florida? Let us know how your holiday was!  :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • jue123
    Yes we went to Florida, the flight was a bit fraught, due to Joshua having a fit and was put on oxygen as he went blue. One of the flight crew was brilliant on Thomson Dreamliner and just glad we flew to Sanford Airport instead of Orlando Airport because it was so quick and easy going through the immigration, etc. It only took 25 mins from leaving the plane to getting the hire car. Once we got to the villa we had a great time. We had breakfast with Winnie the Pooh, Eyeore, Piglet  and Tigger.
    Just debating whether to book again for the end of April 2018 but feel a bit guilty going after having Easter holidays plus 2 weeks back at college then going to Florida. (Total 8 days off). We are unable to go anywhere in July or August due to the heat and have been hospitalised in the past. So end of April is ideal for the heat and crowd levels are a lot lower.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.