Carers esa enquiry — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Carers esa enquiry

Help if poss on enquiry


  • dobbie1972
    dobbie1972 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Can u pls help on esa caring 
  • Alex
    Alex Scope Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @dobbie1972

    Welcome to the community. How can we help?
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dobbie1972 theres lot of information here about ESA, is there something in particular you needed help with?
    Senior online community officer
  • dairylee
    dairylee Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi, i am new to this site.
    I am 43(44 next week!!!) And was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 3 years ago. I had to give up work as i have it very serverly.
    I recieve esa and pip. My husband is my full time carer but because he is (a young) 67 and still self employed(he has a motorcycke stunt team which is seasonal), we are not entitled to carers allowence from what we have been able to see. Im not being greedy, but he is my full time carer which is saving having to get a paid carer in, and he does everything plus more than a carer would or could(due to no fault of the carers with time restrictions etc).
    Please can you advise me?
    Kind regards
    Sarah xXx
  • Jockeylad41
    Jockeylad41 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    If your husband does any kind of work that totals an average of 16 hours per week or more he won't qualify for carers allowance. There is also a restriction on how much someone can earn for those 16 hours (about £105.00 PW). Your problem I guess is that he will probably spend a lot of hours away from you in the summer, therefor technically can't be your full time carer, but the application form asks ''average hours'' and ''average earnings''. So, you could try applying, as long as his annual average doesn't exceed 16 hours and £105 per week.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dairylee

    Here is the eligibility for carer's allowance:

    You might be able to get Carer’s Allowance if all of the following apply:
    • you’re 16 or over
    • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
    • you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this doesn’t apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
    • you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
    • you’re not in full-time education
    • you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more
    • you earn no more than £116 a week after tax and some expenses - these will be assessed when you apply
    • you’re not subject to immigration control
    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.