When do I apply for esa for my daughter — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

When do I apply for esa for my daughter

metoyou Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi when do I apply for esa on my daughters behalf is it when she leaves school in July as that's when child tax credit stops thanks in advance as I'm confused 


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering

    Hi metoyou,

    The rules for ESA are that claims can be made from age 16 onwards. Normally children cannot claim if they are 'receiving education', although sometimes they can (for example if they are in receipt of DLA/PIP - Child Tax Credit would then end).

    If, as appears to be the case, your daughter is leaving education in July, and you are therefore ending the Child Tax Credit then, then yes, that would be the correct time for her claim ESA, provided she is over 16.

    The Citizens Advice have a lot of useful information on ESA, see the following link:-


    Hope this helps.

    Kind regards,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.