Carer — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


CHERRY Member Posts: 4 Listener
 Can I cancel my mums cares and become the carer myself. in a independent living home / shelter. 


  • wheelygirl
    wheelygirl Member Posts: 45 Courageous
    CHERRY Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Several reasons! One! Mum isn't happy with them coming in and out all the time. Long story. 
  • wheelygirl
    wheelygirl Member Posts: 45 Courageous
    I don't know of any reason y not if it what you're mums wans but scoial service might have other ideas or other care company that you could us
  • Alex
    Alex Scope Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @CHERRY

    This is an interesting question! Have you made much progress?

    I guess a good starting place might be to talk about your mum's care plan with the appropriate person (social worker / care manager / social services)? Ultimately if your mum isn't happy with her current plan, she has every right to raise that with local authority. Have a search for your local authority's complaints process.

    @Angela_Scope Is this something you might be able to help with?

  • Angela_Alumni
    Angela_Alumni Member Posts: 10 Connected

    Hi @Cherry sorry for the delay in replying - I have been off for a few days.

    I agree with Alex - a good starting point would be for you and your mum to discuss her/your concerns and your proposal with social services.  And then to use the complaints procedure.

    You and your mum could also discuss your concerns with the service provider as  they should welcome the opportunity to put things right. 

    If your mum is in sheltered accommodation or an independent living setting with care agency staff coming in then it may be possible for your mum to employ you as one of her paid carers/PAs (she may need more than one  carer/PA if she requires care 7 days a week).  To do this she would need to be in receipt of a direct payment from social services to meet her care and support needs.  If she doesn’t currently have a direct payment then she could talk to the social worker/care manager about this.  She would need to be aware that being an employer has certain legal responsibilities that she would need to comply with, such as issuing an employment contract and payroll.  Theremay be a local support organisation that could support and advise on this - the social worker should be able to tell you about any local support organisations in your area.

    If having a direct payment is not something that your mum wants or is not possible and a care agency is used then another idea might be for you to approach the care agency/provider to see if they would consider recruiting you to work for that agency as a carer specifically for your mum. This would be subject to the care agencies recruitment policies and processes.

    Please contact me at the helpline by phone or email  if

    you would like to discuss this further.

    Tel: 0808 800 3333
    [email protected]


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.