Universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit

Options
ange711
ange711 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2017 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, I'm new to this site so please bare with me.
I felt the need to tell people of my experience with universal credit. After failing my medical assessment for ESA-a benefit I have claimed for many years, was advised to claim for UC. As part of the claim you have to say if you have a long term health condition and then informed to provide a fit-note from your GP to support your claim. I did as instructed. 
On my 1st work focused interview I was asked for the fit note and asked my work coach if I needed to provide another one. He said no, they would have to go by guidelines from DWP. On my next interview 4 4 weeks later I was asked for my fit note by the same work coach. He argued with me that he'd informed me I didn't need one!! He then went on to fill in my commitments telling me I had to look for a job 35 hour a week job despite providing a fit note to say I couldn't work and have been unable to for 32 years due to a long term health condition. 
To cut a very long story short I felt pressurised into getting a job, I managed to get a job in my local store contracted to do 12 hours a week. I managed to see out the 1st week ( short shifts ) before I was in agony and signed off sick by my GP. 
I have since found out by a new job coach that I had been placed in the wrong category but can't give up my job because I will probably be sanctioned.!! 
I'm just warning new claimants of UC to be very careful when making your fresh claim and make sure you are aware of categories and be happy with your commitments before you agree to anything. UC is a mind- field so be informed and prepared before making a claim!!
sorrybits so long but need to let people know what's going on with regards to disabled people.

Comments

• Kathy_Bramley
    Kathy_Bramley Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Options
    Good to know! And not! :neutral:
    Autistic mother (they/them) not Autism Mom
  • tashtosh
    tashtosh Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Pls understand that when u go over to uc that they rob u blatantly ...and take all your servera disability premiums so I'm down £160 a month ...plus I now havto move because they won't pay for the extra top up on my carea bed room ...good luck this stupid benifit system is here to make everyone's life a he'll 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.