PIP what can they do if I was awarded more points (so they say) wrongly previously? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

PIP what can they do if I was awarded more points (so they say) wrongly previously?

nalini Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
i had my appeal postponed because the judge said that in 2014 my mobility points were wrongly given as 10 when it should have been only 4. In 2016 I was awarded only 4 points when I was worse than 2014. So I am appealing against that, However, my mobility has detoriarted drastically now. 
What can I do now?


  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,610 Disability Gamechanger
    You might want to re-post in Ask a benefits advisor category.

    Did the judge tell you that you could withdraw your appeal and keep what you had already been awarded?
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2017
    Ive moved your post to the ask a benefits advisor category  :)
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi nalini,

    I'm not sure if your mobility has got worse again since the 2016 decision? If so, your options would be:

    Claim again if you are not receiving ANY PIP at all - your appeal would still go ahead as you might be due benefit for the earlier claim too


    If you already get PIP (daily living component) tell the DWP your mobility has got worse since the 2016 decision. I would only advise doing this if you think you should be getting a higher rate of mobility component now than you should have got last year (if you think you should have got between 8 and 11 points last year but should now score 12). This is because you are likely to have to be reassessed for the DWP to decide what to award you, and that is always stressful. Again, the appeal would still go ahead to decide what you should have got last year, up to the point you report your deterioration.

    If your mobility got worse between 2014 and 2016 but hasn't got significantly worse since then, I don't think there is much you can do but wait for the appeal. With regard to that, be clear that the appeal can only look at your situation at the time the decision was made. Submit any evidence which shows what points you should have got, and if you disagree with the assessor's report, explain why.

    Good luck with it - I really hope you get the correct rate of mobility component this time.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.