Archived Ask a benefits adviser [CLOSED]
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.


DebbzzDebbzz Member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi I'm desperate for help I work full time and look after my disabled husband he gets esa and pip daily living component I'm so tired I have to work overtime to make ends meet I've been refused carers allowance is there anywhere we can get help just to help may be to pay someone to help anything I'm desperate and I don't no what to do or where to go


  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi Debbzz,

    I'm really sorry but you can't get carer's allowance if you earn more than £116 a week - and working full-time, you will do.

    It sounds as if your husband is getting all the benefits he's entitled to, unless you think he should be getting the mobility component too? You can ask your local council for an assessment to see if there's any help you can get to care for him. You could have a look at this Carers UK guide to check if there's anything else you are missing out on.

    I'd recommend giving their helpline a ring as well. From what you say, because you work full-time I'm not sure there are any other benefits you are entitled to, but you could check Working Tax Credit, Housing Benefit (if you pay rent) and Council Tax Reduction. You could use the calculator to check if you're missing anything. (In some areas of the country, tax credits and housing benefit have been replaced by universal credit for new claimants, but just put your postcode in and the calculator will do the rest).

    You could consider asking for a reduction in hours from your employer. Everyone is entitled to ask, and as a carer you have a particularly good reason. Obviously if you work fewer hours you'll get less in earnings but that might open up some benefits to you. The £116 limit in carer's allowance is net by the way (so it's after deductions such as tax, national insurance and half of contributions to a pension scheme).

    If you want advice about asking your employer for reduced hours you could ring the charity Working Families.

    I'm sorry that I can't immediately see any money that you're missing out on but do consider talking through your options with an adviser; sometimes going part-time can help with your energy levels and you can make up at least some of the money with benefits depending on your income and hours of work.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2017
    Hi @Debbzz

    Does your husband go for respite care from time to time?  Of course, respite can give carers a necessary break?

    And if he's only getting the standard rate of daily living component he might be entitled to the higher rate.
  • wildlifewildlife Member Posts: 1,316 Pioneering
    [email protected], Have you got underlying entitlement to Carers Allowance? This is when you would be entitled to payment if you weren't working but just having paperwork to prove you are a carer gets money off other things like Council Tax and rent if you're in rented property. If you want to carry on working it sounds like you'll have to try and increase your husband's benefit by letting the DWP know he is worse than when he first claimed it. But look into this carefully as you need a solid case with lots of evidence and there's a slight risk of losing what he's got. If you keep posting there's lots of help here if you want to go down that route....
  • DebbzzDebbzz Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you everyone 
Sign in or join us to comment.