Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Wrong kind of ESA?
Hi, I am 45 years old and have CP since birth. I have worked a lot in the past, but when my condition got the better of me I gave up work and was put on ESA. Now whenever I try to get any financial help with anything I get told I don't qualify because I don't get the right kind of ESA. I recently needed a new boiler and had to get in to debt for ten years to pay for it because I didn't qualify for a home heating grant. I am also needing more and more prescribed medication which I have to pay for, and finding it more and more difficult to finance. Is anyone else in this situation and is there anything else I can apply for? Don't get me wrong I am grateful I live in a society that can look after me but I feel I am now being penalized for having worked in the past.
- 48.4K All Categories
- 9.6K Start here and say hello!
- 3.9K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K News and opportunities
- 134 Community updates
- 11.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.6K Children, parents, and families
- 622 Work and employment
- 517 Education
- 939 Housing, transport, and independent living
- 908 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 237 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 245 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19.1K Talk about money
- 1.7K Benefits and financial support
- 4.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.2K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.5K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 575 Chronic pain and pain management
- 637 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 691 Autism and neurodiversity
- 822 Mental health and wellbeing
- 284 Sensory impairments
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.