Assessment too far from home — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Assessment too far from home

maw Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited May 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
i have been asked to an assesment  miles away from my home unable to travel alone  dont have access  to a car cant afford a taxi 


  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,610 Disability Gamechanger
    The assessment companies pay claimants' taxi fares. As they have allocated you a centre far from home there should be no problem about refunding your fares. Phone the assessment company's helpline for information.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello....I agree that you should contact the consultation provider about your travel expenses,as you need to have their prior agreement before you travel if you are going to be claiming for taxi fares. You also have the option of asking for an assessment at home, or at a healthcare centre nearer to you, but you may need to provide medical evidence explaining why you can't attend the assessment centre. 
    Remember that your ability to make journeys, how you plan and execute them, and the impact that journeys have on your condition all form part of the assessment process, and you may be asked about your journey by the person who assesses you. 
    Before you go, make sure you are prepared properly, and that you are familiar with the points system which is used to decide most PIP cases. There is information about this on the Scope website, and you can also talk about this to the Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333. Don't go unprepared, and good luck with your assessment. 
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.