Fighting for an EHCP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Fighting for an EHCP

Straberries Member Posts: 3 Listener
I am a parent of a now 16 year old son with Chronic Migraines, PoTS and CFS. I blog a couple of times a week about life as a parent

I am fighting for an EHCP as there is no provision for post 16 year old`s who want to remain in education and are no able to access mainstream due to their medical condition.

Generally stressed out, frustrated parent who did speak in a committee briefing recently on supporting children with medical conditions in school.


  • Geoark
    Geoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2017
    Hi @Straberries

    A good place to start is

    If your son has/had a SEN statement then he should transition to EHCP, local authorities are bound to ensure all such students are transitioned by April 2018.

    If he hasn't and you are being fobbed off a less known route would be through your children's Local Safeguarding Board. While one of their better known functions is to carry out reviews in the case of a child's death, they are also responsible for scrutinising local provisions for young people. You can find which councillors are on your local board with a little research on your council website. It should list all the councillors for the councillor and any committees/boards they serve on. Then email or write to one of them, if they happen to be your local councillor  this can be a bonus.

    Just remember to keep it brief while outlining the main points.

    I hope this helps.

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Straberries from the government website I found this information.

    An education, health and care (EHC) plan is for children and young people aged up to 25 who need more support than is available through special educational needs support.  EHC plans identify educational, health and social needs and set out the additional support to meet those needs.

    You can ask your local authority to carry out an assessment if you think your child needs an EHC plan.  A young person can request an assessment themselves if they’re aged 16 to 25.

    The local authority will tell you within 16 weeks whether an EHC plan is going to be made for your child.

    You can challenge your local authority about:

    • their decision to not carry out an assessment
    • their decision to not create an EHC plan
    • the special educational support in the EHC plan
    • the school named in the EHC plan

    If you can’t resolve the problem with your local authority, you can appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Tribunal.

    If you are really struggling, you can also consider getting in touch with your MP to see if they can help.

    Senior online community officer
  • Straberries
    Straberries Member Posts: 3 Listener
    I have parent partnership and Core Assets supporting me, I have appealed on council refuses to assess and within 36 hours of me logging the appeal they agreed to assess. The Ed Psy has been today (gave 24 hours notice) and still has to speak to my son. Hopeful that will produce a workable EHCP or it will be appeal again.  
  • Straberries
    Straberries Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Should add MP onboard and also plaguing council on son`s behalf.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Great @Straberries we shouldnt have to battle like this, but it's great that you are able to fight for your son.
    Senior online community officer
  • karenoshea
    karenoshea Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi @Straberries, did/does your son get support at school for his needs and if so is this over 12 hours a week. If he has a statement then it should convert over to an EHC lan
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.