Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Wots contributed esa mean

Am I classed as contributed esa or income related esa


  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Member Posts: 7,732 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chunky welcome to the community

    The 2 types of ESA are:

    • contribution-based ESA - usually you get this if you’ve paid enough National Insurance contributions
    • income-related ESA - usually you get this on its own or on top of contribution-based ESA, if you’re on a low income

    Contribution-based ESA lasts one year if you’re in the work-related activity group. You may be able to re-apply at least 12 weeks after your contribution-based ESA ends. You may qualify again depending on:

    • National Insurance contributions you paid in the last 2 full tax years before the tax year you’re claiming in
    • whether your health deteriorates and you’re placed in the support group

    There’s no time limit on how long you can claim contribution-based ESA if you’re in the support group.

    You can find more information here, if you still arent sure then it may be worth checking your paperwork or calling and asking.

    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Nice work Sam, nothing more to add from me!
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.