If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

PIP Tribunal

normbarnormbar Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited May 2017 in PIP, DLA and AA
Went with my Son to his appeal. I was a nervous wreck when being questioned by the Panel of 3 experts. My Son was awarded the higher award for both and the DWP was overruled  it was also stated it was for 5 yrs and back dated from October last year. Great result after all the medicals and the stress levels were building up. Hopefully this is accepted by DWP as I have heard they can appeal against the Tribunals decisions have you heard if this?


  • wildlifewildlife Member Posts: 1,314 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    @normbar Yes they can but only on a point of law. Which hopefully won't apply as a judge is part of the panel who made the decision. I got my claim changed without going to Appeal as I've only got 2/3 years before it's reviewed. I feel more secure as DWP are more likely to keep their own decision the same rather than using the opportunity to take away  what someone else gave me. Your next battle might be to get DWP to honour the award sooner rather than later..
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hello normbar

    Wildlife is correct that a Tribunal decision can only be challenged by PIP if there is an error of law.  These cases are extremely rare.  If PIP were to challenge the decision they would have to take action within 1 month of the tribunal decision.  As such, if you hear nothing in the next 4 weeks, it looks like PIP have accepted the decision.  Again, I cannot stress enough that the number of cases that PIP challenge is very small.

    In regard to arrears it generally takes 6 weeks for an arrears payment to be issued and for regular payments to be set up.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.