Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Worried for my benefits changing from a couple to single claimant
Hi, my husband has claimed for me along with his ESA and PIP for each of us. I am in a situation where I have to leave my hubby and move into my own home. I have high rate PIP care and mobility. Can anyone explain what benefits of universal credit I will be entitled to claim for and how long will it take to sort out as I have heard it can take more than a couple of weeks to sort and people are left with no money to pay bills, eat etc and face eviction going I to 18 weeks. Because of the nature of my numerous conditions, having my dog to care for and needing to pay debts I am very worried what mess I will end up in.
- 53K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 760 Work and employment
- 578 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 928 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.