Want to give something back, advice please. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Want to give something back, advice please.

Options
bigands72
bigands72 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, whilst trying for my 5th Ironman at beginning of 2016 I fell ill & was diagnosed with a rare & aggressive lymphoma, I was given only a few months to live !
I have been lucky - all my treatment seemed to work chemotherapy,radio & a stem cell transplant, I'm now nearly 100%.
After all this, my outlook on life has changed - I would like to help people !
I live in the countryside very close to a farm cafe, my idea is that I would meet the parents of disabled children in the car park, I would then transfer them to a modified disability tandem cycle & take the child out for an hour on the quite roads whilst the parents took a break perhaps in cafe.
I would like to know how many folks would use this sort of service if it was close enough, any general advice & any setup to contact who may have these bikes available ?
One of my runs used to take me past the house of a disabled kid who was often being taken for a wheelchair outing, I would always think he looked, well, a bit bored. I'm sure something like I describe would be an absolute hoot for the kids who are starved of fast paced/adrenaline type activities.

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @bigands72

Welcome to the community.

Great to hear your story.

I love your enthusiasm, but I don't think it's a very good idea, sorry! I doubt many parents would want to leave their child with someone in a car park. You also have to consider various things in terms of safety and safeguarding etc. 

Where abouts do you live? There are lots of charities around the country who are desperate for enthusiastic volunteers. Are you particularly interested in helping disabled children? Perhaps look into volunteering with Sense.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.